Wednesday, March 18, 2015

On the Sunny Side



I think it's important every so often to mix in blogs that don't totally revolve around diabetes, medicine, or anything dreary or sad. This is especially important now that I am a full-time MSW student and am learning many distressing (albeit, fascinating) new things. My mom always asks me why I don't have any happy stories to tell.

But this is a happy story! It's also what will be occupying my teeny tiny spring break. No, it's not Cancun or Cabo or even Miami. But it IS my 2015 BOOK CHALLENGE. I know, exciting.

Let me tell you what I love about books.  Besides teleporting you away to another world where you don't have to worry about anything or anyone, they also make you smarter.  They say the best way to improve your writing is to read.  And it's true.  Whenever I read a particularly good book, I have a burning desire to write for weeks after.  Books are a distraction.  They give us a break from school, from diabetes, from stress, from everything.  They are a way to keep fantasy and imagination an active part of our lives.

You learn new things when you read books. Tiny little tidbits of information that may or may not be useful to you, but it doesn't matter because you can feel your brain growing.  What I like about finding a good book challenge is that there are books from all different categories on it. For example, my first book (one with nonhuman characters) was Call of the Wild, a fiction novel written from the point of view of a dog; and my second (one you were supposed to read in school but didn't) is Is There No Place on Earth for Me?, a nonfiction work written by a journalist accounting for the life of a woman with severe, treatment-resistant schizophrenia. You never know what you are going to learn next, or what wonderful quotes you're going to stumble upon.

So if you're looking for a new hobby or something to do in your spare time, try a book.  Even if it's ten minutes before you fall asleep each night. You never know what you might find.

Some of Kristi's Favorite Writers
  • John Green
  • JK Rowling
  • Paulo Coelho
  • Dr. Seuss
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald

         

No comments:

Post a Comment