Friday, November 30, 2018

Making Endo Visits Suck Less


It's no secret that we all dread going to the endo. No matter how much we like our docs, there always seems to be a level of anxiety that accompanies us to the office. If nothing else, this visit is a strong reminder of the chronic illness that we are living with and managing every day. After more than 20 years of doctor visits and a handful of different endocrinologists, I've learned some ways to make these trips suck a little less.


Treat. Yo. Self.

This idea was actually inspired by my older brother. Like most normal humans, once a year he goes for blood work. He's not the most comfortable with docs and needles, so after his appointment he stops for a Snickers bar. After hearing my mom talking about this I thought, why don't I get in on that?

It doesn't have to be candy (unless you're low). It can be something a little more betes-friendly, and it doesn't have to only be before/after your endo appointment. When I go into the pharmacy to pick up my medications, I look for a little something for myself. Whether it's a mini-cactus for my office, a Justin's PB cup, or a new face mask; it makes the trip a little happier. 

After my endo appointment I'll do a little something more - stop at Starbucks or Playa Bowls, or I'll book a facial for the same day. It can be something small (or big!), but you get the general idea - do something pleasant for you.

Write out your questions.

If you're like me, you have a lot of thoughts that gather in the couple months between appointments. It's easy to let these float around in your head and then have your mind go totally blank once your butt hits the exam table. This can lead to feeling flustered and defeated after the appointment. Something I've started doing is writing down my thoughts and questions as they come, and bringing the list with me when I go to the doctor. That way, when my doc asks how things are going I actually have something productive to work on.

Stand your ground.

It's essential as a type 1 to have an endo who is willing to work with you. Someone who is on your team, not trying to act as your boss. If you have ideas - taking a pump vacation, switching insulin, trying a sensor - speak up! This is your time to advocate for yourself. Your doc may not be on board right away, but they should listen to your input and hear what you have to say. After all, you are the one living with this disease 24/7.

Bottom Line.

Medical management can be boring, at best. But mixing in little joys and treats when we can acts to improve our outlook and quality of life.

1 comment:

  1. My endo has and uses a patient portal. I usually try to use it to send my endo my list of questions 2-3 days before my appointment. That way, my doctor will be ready with at least assertions of the answers when I get there. Same with labs. I ask before the appointment, so I'll have results at the time I meet with the doctor.

    ReplyDelete