Friday, March 15, 2019

Community Versus Identity

The other night I was snuggled up at home, catching up on the latest episode of The Good Doctor. I was drawn in to a particular sub-plot of the episode. One of the main characters, who is receiving chemo, finds himself being pestered by his neighbor in the treatment room to join their cancer support group. Long story short, the character resists for the whole episode, arguing that he doesn't want cancer to define his life, it's not who he is, he doesn't need a support group, all that jazz. In the end, he comes around, and joins his chemo neighbors for a game of cards. 

Throughout the course of this, I couldn't help but think about how many times I've heard this dialogue before - whether it's about diabetes or any other chronic illness. People don't want to be defined by their condition (understandably so). Because of this, it's common for people to push away when approached with support groups or communities for people who share their diagnoses. We want to be more than our diagnoses, so we don't want to over-identify with it.

But here's the thing - there's a difference between identity and community. Belonging to a community of type 1 diabetics doesn't mean that you yourself are only diabetes and nothing else. Your identity is still yours. Sure, diabetes and the community are a part of your identity, but they are not the whole thing.

We can't always change what we're living with. We can't make diabetes go away. So why not find solace in the fact that there are others out there who share our struggle? You may find that they don't like to over-identify with their disease either. You may not even talk about diabetes when you're together. But having that support system there undoubtedly inserts a positive aspect into living with a disease that you cannot change.

2 comments:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete