Thursday, August 22, 2019

On Display

People live with diabetes in many different ways.

Some of us are unashamed of our medical devices, and flaunt them every chance we get. Others are more private; keeping devices hidden as much as possible, or even choosing not to use certain devices in order to avoid making diabetes more visible. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

The other day I was speaking with my mom about letting my devices show. During our talk I realized how multi-faceted the decision is. I explained to her that I'm not embarrassed for my devices to show. I don't particularly care what other people think. But some days, it's 80 degrees and I just want to run to the store in my tank top without anyone speaking to me.

This seems fair, right? Sometimes we want to be left alone, especially if we're shy or introverted. And even if we're not, sometimes we don't always want to get into a discussion with a stranger about such a personal part of our lives. That's what's unique about diabetes. It is so insidious that you often don't think twice about it, but when someone you don't know brings it up it can feel uncomfortable.

Take going to the beach. If you have a pump or a CGM, it's highly likely that one of these will be on display when you don a bathing suit. And some days, I just want to tan and go swimming. I don't want to talk about diabetes and explain why I'm having that snack. You can be comfortable in your skin, but still not want to be approached. You can be proud of your medical devices, but still want others to respect your privacy.

You can be a loud advocate, but have your days that you just want to just be.


Which begs the question - is this decision wholly on us? I don't think it is. I think that when we decide to let our medical devices show, we're hopeful that the general population will decide to be tactful. That they are kind in their questioning, if they feel the need to question, and that they're receptive to what we have to say.

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete