Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Why CrossFit Needs to Stop What They're Doing and Educate Themselves


By now I'm sure many of you have read about CrossFit's recent tweet regarding Coca-Cola and diabetes, whether you saw it on Twitter or read about Nick Jonas' response in the Hollywood blogs. If you haven't been so blessed as to see this perfect example of illness-shaming and ignorance, fear not, I have attached a picture.

The tweet reads, "Make sure you pour some out for your dead homies," and is attached to a picture of Coke with the slogan "open diabetes." Now, there are many things wrong with this tweet, as I'm sure most of you with common sense know. However, CrossFit seems to need it spelled out for them, judging by their further ignorant replies to the T1D community's outrage (see below). So I have taken the time out of my busy day to help these folks out.


1. "Pour some out for your dead homies." Over here in America, we are making great strides. Marriage equality has finally been legalized. Feminism is speaking out against slut-shaming. We attempt to continue the fight for human rights as the years go by. So why are we still thinking it's acceptable to illness-shame people? CrossFit, I'm sorry you think that we are "sensitive," but I would call seeing this tweet after losing a mom, dad, friend, or whomever and being devastated & insulted "being human." We do not insult the dead who succumbed to lung cancer after smoking. We do not insult those who were victims of sexual assault and say "they had it coming--" so WHY are we still making these comments regarding diabetes?

2. "Anyone can get T2 diabetes, even those with T1." Let me get this straight. Are you saying that those who have type 1, a disease in which your pancreas irreversibly stops producing insulin altogether, can develop type 2, a disease in which your pancreas slows down insulin production and can in most cases be reversed with diet and exercise? Maybe I didn't pay attention in science class or at my 934 doctors appointments since I was 13 months old, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

CrossFit, it's time to recognize that you have made a grave mistake in your marketing strategy. It's time to stop making illegitimate excuses and apologize. Or, if nothing else, it's time to EDUCATE YOURSELVES.

No comments:

Post a Comment