Sunday, June 9, 2019

Back to my Roots

I grew up at summer camp.

More specifically, at diabetes camp.


So when I officially registered for Beyond Type 1 x Connected in Motion's 2019 Maine Slipstream weekend, I was more than a little excited. I mean, this was the stuff of (my) life. Camp is in my blood. And now to go back as an adult, doing adult things (AKA drinking wine, higher rope courses, etc.)? I was extremely privileged to have this opportunity.

Maine did not disappoint. Seven hours and seven states north, my diabuddies and I pulled off the interstate and into the quaint town of Winslow. After about ten minutes, we approached a sign, almost masked by the leafy trees, that read "Camp Caribou." We had arrived. The camp was nestled at the end of a long dirt road, on the edge of large lake. It was abundant with all the camp necessities - volleyball court, waterfront, dusty wooden cabins and, of course, campers!

Over 80 adults living with type 1 diabetes, along with staff living with it as well, attended Slipstream. I felt a rush of nostalgia as we unpacked our bunks, did awkward icebreakers, and had a nighttime bonfire. It was so nice to be able to have an open and honest discussion about living with type 1. About its ups and downs, and about the responsibilities that come with being an adult with this disease. I was amazed to hear the different walks of life people came from - some had been living with type 1 for less than a year, while others had spent over 40 years with it. People came from out of town, out of state, and even out of country! I nestled into my cot that night smelling of bug spray with a smile on my face.

The next day was full of opportunities to play outside. I climbed a 50 ft wall at high ropes, did some paddle boarding, and played a spontaneous game of volleyball with my fellow campers. Throughout the day, sessions were held exploring everything from mindfulness to technology, all with a focus on type 1, and led by people living with it. 

I was lucky enough to grow up attending camp for kids with type 1. It was so nice to see other people who had never had this experience before have it for the first time. Listening to their awe about being surrounded by other people with diabetes was touching.

So what do you pack for a weekend at camp?

Bug Spray.

Seriously. You're gonna need it. Spray it outside the cabin. And even though you use it, you'll still leave with bug bites.

Layers.

Maine is COLD compared to NJ. I regret not packing a second sweatshirt. Bottom line, pack a variety of layers. And always pack extra underwear.

Warm Pajamas.

No matter where you are, in the woods it's cold in the morning and at night. Grab some pajama pants and fuzzy socks. And an extra blanket.

An Extra Pair of Shoes.

Ya know, just in case you get thrown in the lake. Or fall in.

2 comments:

  1. My names are Judith Tyler,I am here to appreciate Dr OSO for using his herbal medicine to cure my Diabetes diseases. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this diseases and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused because i have been taking several treatment to be cured but all of my efforts was in vain,one morning i was browsing on the internet i saw several testimonies about Dr OSO healing people from Herpes virus and other sickness,so i collected his email address drosohaberhome@gmail.com and his whats-app number +2348162084839 and i contacted him immediately, i told him about my health problems and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me which i used for a period of 3 weeks and i was healed completely, everything was just like a dream to me and my Diabetes diseases was totally gone, DR OSO is a God sent to heal people.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases, CANCER / HERPES,LOW SPERMS COUNT/ HIV / AIDS / COPD / HEPATITIS B.you contact DR OSO today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and hones. contact him via email; drosohaberhome@gmail.com OR WHATS-APP- +2348162084839 >>>>

    here is the dr website.

    https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

    His blog page https://drosohaberhome.blogspot.com

    you can also contact me for more info about DR OSO judithtyler355@gmail.com ,./

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete