Friday, June 28, 2019

Staying Sane with Your CGM

You may be reading the title of this blog and thinking it's contradictory.

I need my CGM to stay sane, you mumble to yourself. What is this girl getting on about?

First of all, if you're on a CGM and don't get obsessive with your data, kudos. If you don't let the steady stream of numbers wear on your self-perception and sanity, I'm impressed. I'm also skeptical. Because how could we not become obsessive? The data is always there. At any given moment, we can see what's going on with our blood sugar trends and levels. As someone who's lived for over 20 years without this insight, I must say it's like finally being given the gift of sight.

So if you think you're not over-dependent on your CGM, ask yourself these questions just to check where you're at:
  • Can you eat a meal/go to the bathroom/go on a date without having your phone or your receiver by your side?
  • Do you catch yourself having a knee-jerk reaction to up or down arrows, and then going high or low due to over-correcting?
  • Do you have a significant increase in worry during the warm-up period when you start a new sensor and you don't have access to continuous readings?
I can tell you personally that since starting CGM use, at least one of these has always been a "yes" for me. And that's okay - the CGM is a great tool and we should use the data. But sometimes the constant checking and over-correcting can do more harm than good.

So, to keep myself sane, these are some hacks I've implemented:
  • Turn off the "Quick Glance" feature. Quick glance can be a blessing and a curse. It's super helpful for things like work and driving. However, during downtime it's easy to tap your phone awake every 30 seconds to check the BG that's fixed to your screen. I take little vacations from quick glance and usually notice a healthy decrease in how often I check my phone. 
  • Use your receiver at night. By now you've probably heard about the impact technology can have on restful sleep. If not, here's the quick & dirty: the closer to bedtime your screen time is, the more interference in getting good Zs. Most experts say to power down an hour before bed. So what I've started doing is powering on that little receiver that many of us have long forgotten, and keeping it on my bedside table. This way I can check my number if needed without getting roped in by Facebook notifications and text messages.
  • Set parameters for yourself. Significant change can often come from small steps, if you follow them faithfully and make room for them to become habit. Setting firm, specific rules for yourself can be helpful. For example, "checking my phone less" is too vague; whereas "checking my phone every 1 mile during my run (thanks John from Type One Run Podcast for this tip)" will likely yield more success.
When I'm feeling particularly frazzled by my sugars and staring at the little dots on my Dexcom graph, waiting impatiently for the next one to appear, I remind myself this: there were not always CGMs. There was a time (a long time) where we ate, tested, gave insulin, and let Jesus take the wheel. We tested again when we were symptomatic or eating again. It's possible to survive without the CGM. We can stand to not know our blood sugars every 5 minutes. This re-framing and self-talk helps me work myself out of a data frenzy. Use the CGM tool as a shield, not a sword that you keep falling on.

4 comments:

  1. Well said. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Type one diabetes is an incurable disease at the moment, and I will ask you kindly to stop spamming all of my posts with this falsehood.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete