Sunday, June 3, 2018

My Libre Experience

By now I'm sure many of you have heard about or seen pictures of the Freestyle Libre system. For those of you who haven't, here's how it works:

The system has two parts: the sensor and the reader. The sensor is itty bitty and gets inserted into the back of your arm. It stays in for up to ten days. When you want to get data, you click on the reader and simply wave it over the sensor. It gives you your current BG, along with a graph of your previous readings for as long as you've been wearing it. The reader also tells you if you're trending rapidly up or down, slowly up or down, or running steady.

Unlike the Dex or Medtronic system, the sensor doesn't automatically give you your numbers - you have to wave it to get the data. This means there's no alert system if you're about to go low or if you're creeping up. The reader works through clothing, and it has a built in Freestyle meter as well.


Journey to Libre

I started my journey, of course, with insurance issues. When I first attempted to pick up the system at the pharmacy, they told me that insurance covered none of it. This was when it first came out in the US, in the beginning of 2018. It was also VERY difficult to locate a participating pharmacy that had it in stock. After a frustrating failed attempt, I spent a couple of months on the Enlite system, as it was covered by my new insurance. I did get some good data with this, but I went through too many inaccurate readings and failed insertions. My mind drifted back to the Libre. I decided to go through the company, and let them battle it out. They reached out to my endo to get a prescription, and went back and forth between her office, the pharmacy, and insurance. The system ended up being partially covered, and the out of pocket is less than the Enlite system for me.

Bringing the Libre home was super exciting - at this point I'd heard more and more about how convenient and accurate it was, and was itching to try it out. I was especially excited to use it while running. I've been on it now for about a month, and am thrilled so far. The readings are accurate, I'm pricking my finger less, and I feel like a spy from the future every time I wave the reader and get hours of data. Not to mention I have the system decked out in gear from Pimp My Diabetes and T1D Chick. There are certain aspects of the system that I can see some people being hesitant towards, depending on their situation. Below I've detailed my pros and cons.

PROS

Accuracy: My libre is almost always spot on. I trust it, which is a big deal for me. Small discrepancies tend to happen when I'm rising or dropping quickly, like with most CGMs. 

Size: You cannot beat it in the size department. The sensor itself is roughly the size of a quarter and flat. The reader is tiny as well, even in a case. Because it's so flat to your body, it's harder to rip out on accident. 

Duration: Sensor change is every 10 days. Enough said. 

Dual meter: The reader can also be used as a meter with Freestyle Precision Neo strips. These strips are super convenient too- they're wrapped individually in foil so you can fold them up flat. I use them for when I'm running, at work, or need to carry less bulk. Then I don't have to carry my usual meter as well. 

Cost: Even with the lower rate of insurance coverage, the out of pocket still ends up lower than the Enlite for me. The original market price of the system is lower than other sensors. 

Minimizes alert anxiety: If you feel your lows and highs and aren't reliant on the alerts on the Dex/Medtronic, this can be a good option for you. I tend to have alert anxiety, in which I get alerted that I'm dropping or rising and tend to over-correct.  The Libre eliminates this for me.

CONS

No alerts: If you don't feel your lows and highs, this system may not be ideal for you. While it's easy to scan and check your BG, you don't have the peace of mind that may come with the alert system.

Not technically "continuous": Because you have to scan the reader over the sensor, the system isn't technically considered a CGM. It isn't automatic - you have to put the little bit of effort into it.

Insurance: Because the system is so new, it's less likely to be covered by insurance. Or if it is, it may not be completely covered. I anticipate that as time goes by and more people use it, more insurance companies will offer more coverage.


Bottom Line

Bottom line is, if your insurance will cover it, I highly recommend trying it out. It's small, accurate and fun to use. My coworkers in the medical field are in awe of it. Plus, it's always fun to hear people guess what the heck is on your arm. So far I've gotten:
  • A penny (this guess was from a 3-year-old)
  • A radiation sensor
  • Miscellaneous crap stuck to my arm ("Hey, you've got something stuck there")
We'll see what guess comes next...

No comments:

Post a Comment